How to make a sumptuous Grilled Halloumi and Orange Salad for the perfect work lunch.
This meat-free salad can be served as a lunch or light dinner. It’s great for summer dining and ideal as a vegetarian meal!
Prep Time: minutes. Cook Time: 4 minutes. Serves: 2. Difficulty: Easy.
For the dressing:
- 125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 large orange
- 1 block (225-250g) halloumi cheese
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 1 bag mixed leaves
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 4 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1. For the dressing, combine ingredients in a small bowl or jug, stir well then set aside.
- 2. For the salad. Using a sharp knife, cut both ends off the orange. Sit orange on chopping board on one of the flat ends, then cut away the peel and white pith starting at the top and cutting down to the bottom, following the shape of the orange. Once the peel has been removed, cut the orange segments from the membranes. Discard membrane and put orange segments aside.
- 3. Heat a griddle or regular pan on medium high heat. While pan is heating, cut halloumi into 10 slices. Brush both sides with olive oil, reduce heat to medium then arrange halloumi slices in pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on both sides. Remove from heat.
- 4. Place leaves in a large bowl then drizzle with about 3-4 tbsp of the dressing (make sure to give the dressing a good stir first). Toss to coat the leaves, then arrange leaves on a large serving plate or directly onto 2 dinner plates.
- 5. Scatter over orange segments, onion, toasted almond flakes and pumpkin seeds. Arrange grilled halloumi on top. Drizzle with another 1-2 tbsp of dressing, serve and eat immediately.
- 6. Keep leftover dressing in a clean bottle or container in the fridge for up to a week and use as needed on various salads.
For 1000s more recipes, head over to www.ilovecooking.ie.