Huevos Rancheros is an egg breakfast that's tasty, healthy and good for your hair!
Huevos Rancheros is a great alternative to the usual egg breakfast. The eggs poach in a rich tomato sauce bursting with flavour and bright in colour. Serve with flatbread, lime wedges and slices of creamy avocado or our classic guacamole click here.
Prep Time: N/A Cook Time: 25 minutes Serves: 4 Difficulty: Easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tins tomato
- Salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- Strong cheddar or Manchego cheese, grated
- Fresh coriander
- Heat a large pan on medium heat with the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and paprika and cook until onion begins to soften. Add the peppers, chilli and garlic and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high and add the tins of tomato and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and leave to simmer until tomato sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use the back of a large spoon or ladle to create 4 wells in the tomato sauce, then carefully crack an egg into each well. Place a lid over the pan leaving a gap for steam to escape, and leave eggs to poach for about 5 minutes or until the tops of the eggs are just set.
- Remove from heat and scatter generously with cheese and coriander then serve at the table straight from the pan.