Or you may know them as "Oooh, that was the thing Rihanna turned up essentially naked to last year - and won."
This year, as it happens nobody was going to attempt to compete with Rihanna's sheer delight - apart from Julianna Marguilies, who provided a flash of underwear in her stunningly understated number.
Someone we can always count on not to embrace the understated is Kim Kardashian, who battled her reportedly crippling morning sickness to bring this Proenza Schouler to the red carpet.
Our favourite look of the night went to Diane Kruger in Prabal Gurung...
Going for a short number, we have Amanda Seyfried in a rather ornate Rodarte dress, coupled with Christian Louboutin heels
Also whipping the pins out for the occasion, we have Emmy Rossum in Dion Lee.
Katie Holmes kept things simple in a gloriously shiny, and (very) flattering halter necked Ralph Lauren dress.
Those opting for a trouser instead of a skirt included Gigi Hadid (in Michael Kors) and January Jones...
Presumably inspired by the plight of Cannes attendees; Karlie Kloss (in DVF) and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen all decided on flats. If you fancy the look of Ashley's ballet slippers, they're Chanel.
A number of people strutted the red carpet with top designers. For example, Juliette Lewis arrived arm-in-arm with Christian Siriano (who you may recall won Project Runway many moons ago)...
... while one Hamish Bowles came as Victoria Beckham's date... We're failing to find suitable words to do this justice, so we'll leave it there.
As for the overall winners, here they are in all their fabulousness...
- Womenswear Designer of the Year: Ashley Olsen and Mary-Kate Olsen for The Row
- Menswear Designer of the Year: Tom Ford
- Accessories Designer of the Year: Tabitha Simmons
- Swarovski Award for Womenswear: Rosie Assoulin
- Swarovski Award for Menswear: Shayne Oliver for Hood by Air
- Swarovski Award for Accessory Design: Rachel Mansur and Floriana Gavriel for Mansur Gavriel
- Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award: Betsey Johnson
- The Media Award in Honor of Eugenia Sheppard: Instagram
- The Founder’s Award in Honor of Eleanor Lambert: Millard “Mickey” Drexler, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of J.Crew Group, Inc.
- International Award: Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli for Valentino