I’m sure you’re all aware to some extent that you should drink water throughout the day. But, what you may not be aware of is how important it actually is and how much of a difference it can make.
Water has always been my drink of choice. I definitely feel different when I don’t drink water as regularly as I should. Our bodies are composed of about 60% water, so it plays a major role in a number of functions such as: lubricating your joints and eyes, keeping your skin healthy by eliminating toxins and facilitating proper digestion. When we are dehydrated, our body simply doesn’t function the way it should. Most of us are dehydrated some of the time and some of us all of the time.
Symptoms of dehydration include:
- Dry sticky mouth
- Dry skin
- Very dark colored urine
- Muscle cramps
I get that drinking water can be boring but, it really is necessary, so you’ll just have to get used to it. It took me a good while to get to where I am today; I drink at least two litres per day. You will notice your skin looking better and let's be honest who doesn’t want beautiful glowing skin?
Here are just a few tips to help you get your water intake to where it should be.
- Carry a bottle everywhere you go, a constant reminder to keep drinking.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that are dense in water, yep you can get water from food too.
- Instead of using flavoured waters that are in the shops opt for a more natural source. Add some mint, lemon or lime. Sometimes I let it sit in the fridge for the night… yum!
- When you drink enough water you will urinate more often, and it will be a very light colour; this is when you know you’re doing a good job.
- When you’re at the gym be prepared with a big bottle of water; when you sweat you need more water so make sure to drink up.
The fluoride levels in our water is a problem and has been for many years, but this is for another day's article. I stick to mineral water or spring water that I buy in shops instead of tap water. You can buy a 1.5/2ltr bottle in most convenience stores for €1 which I don’t think is that bad.
Until next week,
Metabolic Fitness Trainer