We're a gentle bunch - sensitive skin is a concern for about 60% of Irish women. In fact us Celtic girls are hit with a double whammy.
Our fair skin is sensitive to sun and has a low natural defence barrier. This is then compounded by a lifestyle that exposes our skin to chemicals, environmental assault and more product ingredients than you can shake a stick at.
Here are my top four products to calm and soothe delicate skin:
- Elemis Soothing Chamomile Cleanser
Skincare starts with cleansing, ‘tis the foundation stone of clear skin.
Cleansing wipes and micellar water don’t cut the make up removal mustard for me. I love this Elemis cleanser, designed for sensitive skin. It smells gorgeous, the chamomile soothes irritation and it's responsible for my softer-of-late skin (€26.25 for 200ml). Check out Aveeno for some fantastic options that are kinder to the pocket.
Always use a clean face cloth and blot, never rub, the skin dry. Remember that very hot water can cause broken capillaries to appear so use a lukewarm temperature. Top tip when showering is not to turn your face up directly into the spray, use a soaked soft cloth instead.
2. Botanics 100% Organic Rosewater Toning Spritz
I love an alcohol-free toner to close the pores and gently refresh the skin. This Botanics from Boots offering ticks all the boxes (€7.69 for 150ml). Pick up a bottle of plain old rose water for a cheaper option or if you have extra spends, the Elemis Soothing Apricot Toner (€26.25 for 200ml) is a real treat.
3. Dr Hauschka Rose Day Cream Light
Apply a moisturiser while the skin is still damp from the toner.
I’ve tried Simple’s range but I need something more nourishing. I have been converted to Dr Hauschka to calm my skin (€30 for 30ml). The more the natural the ingredients, the more my skin loves it. Lidl’s Cien has got some amazing reviews and I have been convinced to pick one up next time I am Lidl’ing.
4. Nuxe Gelée Exfoliante Douce
Even sensitive skin will benefit from a light exfoliation but limit it to once a week. This option from Nuxe (€20 for 75ml) has gentle micro beads - avoid exfoliators that use almond, walnut or salt as the irregular edges can irritate sensitive skin. Alternatively use an enzyme based exfoliator, Jurlique and Elemis are leaders in this market.
- Try and find what triggers sensitivity in your skin. The triggers are different for us all - fragrances, paraben preservatives, even my beloved rose extract can sensitivity. For me, it's hot water and sun exposure.
- Look for products that contain chamomile, cucumber, aloe, calendula, liquorice and feverfew - all proven to be gentle on the skin.
- And don’t forget an SPF, give that fair skin a fighting chance!
Do you have sensitive skin? What ingredients does your skin react to? What products work for you?