Pretty much the instant that I spotted the adorable tuxedo nails that Zooey Deschanel wore to last week's Golden Globes on Twitter, I resolved to take a crack at DIYing them. They turned out really well (and were easy peasy to do.)
Here's how to create your own version of Zooey's black tie appropriate manicure at home.
- Paint nails white (I used OPI Alpine Snow.) You'll likely need two to three coats for even coverage.
- Use a black polish (I used Barry M Black) to create thick reverse French tips along the free edge (ALL the best dressed nails are wearing cummerbunds this awards season, dahling.)
- Add three vertical black dots/dress buttons down the centre of each nail. I just used the nib of a ballpoint pen as a makeshift dotting tool (we've got a full tutorial here.)
- Use the edge of the black nail polish brush (or indeed a toothpick) to create an elongated 'x' at the base of the nail, and fill in with black polish. Voila - a bow tie.
- Finish with a fast-dry top coat like Seche Vite that will minimise drag, and then bring those fancy digits somewhere nice and show 'em a good time.
It just wouldn't be fair to get them all gussied up and then have nowhere for them to go!
Get Beaut.ie Delivered
Stay updated with Beaut.ie newsletters full of the latest happenings at Beaut.ie as well as great offers and things we think you might find interesting .