Why would you get a takeaway when you can whip up this Sweet Chilli Beef dish (and it's lo-cal, too)?
Sweet Chilli Beef with Noodles. This is a fantastic beef noodle dish with a kick of chilli along with sweet and sour flavours. A delicious alternative to a takeaway!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Serves: 2-3 Difficulty: Easy.
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 350g minute beef steaks, cut into thin strips
- 125ml olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced & divided
- 2-3 spring onions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Thumb size piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 tbsp rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 90-100g vermicelli rice noodles
- Combine cornflour with the 5-spice and salt in a large shallow bowl and give a quick mix to mix. Add the beef and toss to coat each strip of meat.
- Place a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat with half of the oil. Once hot, add half of the beef and cook until crisp. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel. Add more of the oil if needed, and cook the remaining beef, draining on paper towel once crisp. Carefully pour out most of the oil, leaving about 1 tbsp behind.
- Add the red pepper and half of the chilli along with the whites of the spring onion, garlic and the ginger to the hot pan and cook for about 3 minutes until red pepper has softened.
- Add the vinegar, soy, sweet chilli sauce and water to the vegetables and mix. Cook further 2 minutes, then add the beef back into the pan and toss until well coated with the sauce.
- Prepare rice noodles according to the packaging, then serve beef on top of the noodles. Garnish with the greens of the spring onion and the remaining chilli.